Cal's first words (signed of course)

Yay for Cal! He said his first words! Just like a hearing kid who says "Mama" for the first time, a deaf child will sign it. I know, I know, lots of kids sign at nine months, but for some reason it is really exciting to see your child sign when it is his only form of communication. Cal's first sign was "dada." Can you believe that! After all the work I have done with him to sign Mommy, his first word was daddy! Londyn did the same thing. What is that all about? The next signs to follow daddy were mommy, more, and ball. Cal also understands the sign for light and airplane. I figure that is the only benefit of living in the direct path to the airport. We get a gazillion planes flying over our house every day, so Cal has had plenty of opportunities to learn that sign!

Here is a video to demonstrate his skills. Of course Steve put him through torture in order to capture it on film, but what do ya do?

3 comments:

Alex said...

I love it! That is so cute. I love their first signs. Cal will now just start signing a lot more. I think Zeke learned like 1 a week after his first sign and now he will usually learn 1 a day or every other day. It is amazing. I think Zeke knows a little over 60 signs. It gets hard to keep track of because they learn so many so quickly!

PolyglotMom said...

So excited for you! I remember when Lucas had his first sign at 9 months - milk. It was my happiest moment of the year. I still remember my elation. And I still get excited by his new signs!!!! Go Cal!

Kaitlin and Charles said...

Hi Brynn, I'm pretty sure you have the cutest little boy ever, which was confirmed by this video! We can start talking arranged marriage for him and my 8 month old, Nanette, whenever you are ready! (This is Kaitlin Young by the way. :)