Dad's Sentimental Rant

By no means do I consider myself an expert in all things deaf, but what I have learned in the past 8-½ months is astounding. As a parent you read books, you learn audiology results, you pour over cochlear implant studies, you take ASL classes, you meet weekly with PIP, you immerse yourself in the Deaf culture; whatever you can do, you do. You figure the more you learn, the less lost you will feel.

But lately I find myself grateful that I have been able to learn so much. I’m grateful that I am learning another language. I’m grateful that I have discovered a culture I knew nothing about. I’m grateful for friendships made. I’m grateful my son is deaf. I know this post is ridiculously cheezy (and I am sorry for that), but for parents who are maybe just finding out that their child is deaf. It gets better. It gets much better. In fact, it becomes pretty awesome. Believe me, watching your little 10-month-old sign Mommy & Daddy is about the best thing in the world.

I’m not saying that there are not trials and heartbreaks. I’m not saying it’s easy or painless. I’m just saying there are good parts too. And the older they get, happiness and acceptance start to take over all of the worry and sadness. Like I said, it gets better...much better.

7 comments:

Ericka said...

That is such a wonderful way to think about it! That is exactly how I feel about my daughters hearing loss. And all parents go through hard times. It's the hardest job in the world, but so rewarding.

Melanie Lutz said...

Thank you for sharing!!!!

PolyglotMom said...

I agree! And just wait... it gets even better!

Miss Kat's Parents said...

I would never make my daughter hearing. It would make her a different person, and I love her as a Deaf girl. If she was hearing she wouldn't have her facial expressions and the way she rolls her eyes.

This is her path, we are just flollowing her!

Dustin, Heather and Gavin said...

I agree. It is hard,scary at first. You cry and wonder why my child. As a parent I also wondered if this would hold Gavin back in life. So you study about hearing loss all about it, all the late hours spent on the internet trying to figure things out! All the people you get to meet and talk with. You get connected with Community resources like AG Bell or Hand's N Voices. You learn this will be just fine. You become ok. There will be those ups and downs for sure! Be it is all worth it.

Cal is so Lucky to have such Great Parents. You and your wife are just Awesome! Keep up the great work.

tammy said...

I had read your blog before, and don't know if I commented, but I just stumbled upon it again and glad I did ... I'm adding it to my blogroll so I make sure to get Cal updates! What a cutie he is!!! I love this post! How true it is! I wouldn't change Aiden for the world. We were blessed with him and I love this journey! There's not a day that goes by that I'm not in awe with the things he does. I thank God everyday for our little man and what he's brought to our life!

The Brights said...

I also added you to our page. Hope that's okay!