Hearing Booth

We did a hearing booth test for the first time this week, and it was a huge success. The process goes as follows:

Cal and I sit in a small booth with big speakers and a TV on our right and left side. I hold Cal on my lap as an audiologist sits in front of him and makes faces at him. As he is smiling and laughing, another audiologist behind the glass window sends sound through the speakers. In our case she said ba ba ba ba in the microphone. When Cal heard the sound, he stopped smiling and got an inquisitive look on his face. We kept repeating this process to see what kind of response we were getting each time. The audiologist explained that he was responding to sound at 70 decibels with his hearing aids on. This means that Cal would be able to hear a big dog barking when he wears his hearing aids. We were so excited about the results! It doesn't mean he won't get an implant. It means that he will respond better to an implant because he is receiving and recognizing sound right now. The more sound he is getting into his brain, the more successful he will be with implants. Way to go Cal!

3 comments:

Missy said...

Oh that is wonderful news!! Thanks for keeping us updated.

A friend of mine is getting her Masters in deaf education, and I saw her this week and I just kept asking her so many questions about all this stuff. There is so much to learn but I am so amazed at the modern technology!

Keep the updates coming and good luck with everything.

leah said...

Good news! He's already learning to listen and will do great when he gets his CI!

misskri said...

That is wonderful news!!! I remember when we were told that Thomas could hear (even a tiny bit) with his hearing aids ~ I was ecstatic. I didnt care that it had to be a jackhammer or someone yelling "Babababa"...atleast he could hear something!!!
Were you ever tempted to "tap" him on the side where the sound was coming from (so he would look over)? lol The thought crossed my mind while I sat with Thomas on my lap, my husband and I wearing ear plugs because some of the sounds were too loud. I sat in the chair, holding Thomas, crying in disbelief that he could not hear our audiologist booming voice calling his name or the different tones that increasingly got louder.
Whew..that was awhile ago. This will be a long road for you guys, but its soooo worth it!!!