An Answer

This last week has been a big week for little Cal. The long awaited (and dreaded) MRI finally happened on Wednesday. And a few (very long) days later we got the results. Cal has all his little ear bits and pieces and appears to be a good candidate for cochlear implant surgery. Brynn and I are extremely excited about the news. By no means is this an easy road, but at least we know what road we are on, and that in itself is a tremendous relief.

So here is the basic run down. The cochlear implant will give Cal hearing capabilities. This does not mean that he will hear like you and I hear, but it does mean that Cal has a good chance of being able to hear sound, learn speech and be mainstreamed. Obviously we will take these steps as they come, but as parents we feel like the implant gives Cal options.

More than anything is just feels good to have a direction. For months we didn’t know if Cal could or couldn’t hear. We had no idea where we were or where we were going. And though we still don’t have exact answers to those questions, we do feel like for the first time since we found out about Cal’s deafness, we have been given something tangible.

And so starts Cal's journey towards a cochlear implant surgery.

3 comments:

Jamie and Covie Gonzales said...

I was thrilled to hear that Cal is doing so well. I know you have been waiting for this day Brynn. I am pleased to hear the sedation went well too. I know this is a great blessing to you both. Although it is harder than any of us can imagine... this is great news that I know you both needed. Finally some answers and directions. Best of luck. Keep me posted.

Jamie and Covie Gonzales said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex said...

I am so excited for you guys and being able to do the implants for your little one. We still haven't decided if we are going to do the implants with our son Zeke because he does really well with his hearing aids. We have not done the genetic testing for the connexin 26, but I think that I would be interested in doing it. Have you guys done it and if you have where?
I am actually looking for a new audiologist and was just wondering where you guys take Cal. I just don't think Zeke's audiologist is good enough and want the best for him. If you don't want to share that information over a blog here is my email address: alexgeddes44@yahoo.com.